Tuesday, December 27, 2005

a dog named Julius




This hat is my first attempt at colorwork. There are clearly problems - first of all, I didn't get the tension quite right with all the floats, so it's not flat and smooth like it should be. Second, when I blocked it I didn't do a good job getting the hem straight.

Originally, I was going to try to make this absolutely awesome hat, but then I had a moment of insecurity about whether I could pull off wearing it. Fact is, I'm not a cool bike messenger. I'm a vanilla 30-something who drives a Corolla. And since I would have had to cry if I made that hat but couldn't wear it, I decided to try designing my own instead.

Originally, I based this design on Blue Dog , but now that it's finished I really think it looks more like my cousin's dog Julius. Therefore, I am calling this the Julius hat.



See the resemblance?

2 Comments:

Blogger ivyleaves said...

I see Pikachu

12/27/2005 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Julius a French Bulldog? I keep seeing them lately. If I was in a position to get a dog, I should be looking for a French bulldog.

That hat is really nice, though! My only experience with knitting patterns like that is from making the skully tote from Hello Yarn. It looked very awkward and sloppy before I felted it, now it's lovely.

12/27/2005 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home